Rectifying Plan Images
Rectifying Plan Images
- Locate the ArcMap icon on your desktop and double click it.
- Using the magnifying glass “Zoom In” feature on the tool bar, zoom into the area that you want to insert a rectified plan sheet. Turn on the aerial photograph by selecting the “Add Layers” tool on the tool bar; click on the “+” next to “Air Photos”; place a check in the box next to the “2006 Color 6in Orthophoto”; then click the “Add Selected Layers” button; then click “Close."
- Find the Plan Viewer icon on your desktop and double click it. Find the plan sheet that you want to rectify. Note the Project Number as well as the plan sheet number. Then open up Windows Explorer and go to the following directory: K:\Library\Plans\images\”Your Project Number”\”Desired Plan Sheet”
- Highlight the correct .TIF file with the desired plan sheet number and copy it to a location on your own C: drive that you will remember.
10. Find the newly added layer in the right hand “Layer” column and right mouse click on it. Select “Zoom to Layer”. This will take you to the location in space where the layer was brought in at.
11. Find the “Layer” identification box on the tool bar and make sure it shows the plan sheet name that you want to insert. If not, use the down arrow key at the right end of the box and select the appropriate file.
12. Make sure the “Rotate Data Frame” angle is set to 0. The default is 358 so everything appears vertical and horizontal. However, the next process will not function unless you reset the angle to 0.
13. The process of rectifying a drawing to the aerial in ArcMap requires that you select two points that are readily identifiable on both the plan sheet and the ArcMap application aerial. Make sure the two points are located as far apart on the sheet as possible. You will essentially be stretching the plan sheet across the two selected points. The use of property corners or surveyed point on an existing curb may be the most accurate if available. You can toggle between the plan view and the aerial view by selecting “View”, then “Bookmarks”, then the bookmark name that you saved earlier. Right click the layer name on the left hand layer control box and select “Zoom to Layer” to get back to the plan view. You can zoom in and out of either view without affecting the procedure.
14. Locate the “Add Control Points” on the tool bar and click on it. Pick the first common point from the plan sheet. Zoom to your bookmark by selecting “Bookmark” and the bookmark name you saved. Pick the same common point on the ArcMap aerial view. This will bring in a small scale plan view anchored at the first point you selected as shown below.
15. Zoom back to the plan sheet layer again by right clicking on the layer name on the right side of the ArcMap layer box. Zoom in to the area near the second control point location. Select the “Add Control Points” button again and select the second control point from the plan sheet view. ALWAYS SELECT FROM THE PLAN SHEET VIEW FIRST THEN THE ARCMAP AERIAL VIEW. Use the bookmark feature again and zoom to the ArcMap aerial view. Select the common second control point from the ArcMap aerial view. This will stretch the plan sheet to full size in real space.
16. On the right hand “Layer Control” column, double click on the layer for the plan sheet. Select the “Display” tab and set the Transparency to 50%. This will allow you to see through the plan sheet to see if the rest of the visible lines match with the aerial lines.
17. Find the “Georeferencing” tool in the menu and click the down arrow next to it. Select “Rectify….”. When the “Save As” dialogue box pops up, type “rectified” in front of the filename and change the file format to “TIF” and click “Save”. This will save the rectified plan sheet in the same place you saved the original .TIF file on your local hard drive with the same file name except it will have “rectified” in front of it.
18. Copy all the rectified plan files (all extensions) from your personal folder back to the K:\Library\Plans\images\”Your Project Number”\”Desired Plan Sheet”
19. Find the “CAMP” icon on your desktop and double click it. Zoom to the desired area. Go to “View” on the main menu screen and select “Add Rectified Plan Page”.
20. Browse to the location in K:\Library\Plans\images\”Your Project Number”\”Desired Plan Sheet” and locate the rectified plan sheet. Then click “Open”. This will bring the rectified plan sheet into CAMP.
21. Add the points (signs, light poles, junction boxes, etc.) on the plan sheet just as you would directly on the aerial view.
22. To remove the rectified plan sheet, Click on “View” on the main menu and select “Remove Rectified Plan Page”.