Keep Right Sign Design Guidelines
City Guidelines Regarding the Installation of “Keep Right” (R4-7) Signs
Traffic Services Division of the Department of Public Works
Governing Document Reference:
“Keep Right” (R4-7) Symbol signs may be used at locations where it is necessary for traffic to pass only to the right-hand side of a roadway feature or obstruction.
The “Keep Right” sign should be installed as close as practical to approach ends of raised medians, parkways, islands, underpass piers, and at other locations where it is not readily apparent that traffic is required to keep to the right. The sign should be mounted on the face of or just in front of a pier or other obstruction separating opposite directions of traffic in the center of the highway such that traffic will have to pass to the right-hand side of the sign.
The sign may be omitted at intermediate ends of divisional islands and medians.
City of Overland Park Guidelines for Installation:
A “Keep Right” sign is to be installed according to the following guidelines:
On Thoroughfare Streets:
- The “Keep Right” sign should be installed in the median approach nose where the geometry of the street transitions from a non-divided to a divided cross-section. It is not required to install the “Keep Right” sign in the median nose opposite an intersection where the previous street segment has had a continuous median.
On Collector or Residential Streets:
- The “Keep Right” sign should be installed in the median approach nose in a mid-block location where the geometry of the street transitions from a non-divided to a divided cross-section. This generally occurs at locations where the median is relatively short in length and is installed as a traffic calming or aesthetic measure.
- The “Keep Right” sign is not required on the approach ends of the median on collector or residential streets where the median serves as an entry feature into a subdivision unless the configuration of the street is not apparent that traffic must stay to the right of the median.
- The “Keep Right” sign is not required in locations where a flush-mounted median (Type A curb and gutter section) is used.
- The “Keep Right” sign is not required to be installed in the approach nose of a splitter island within roundabouts.
Where installed, the sign should be accompanied with and mounted above an “Object Marker” (OM1-3) sign.
The “Keep Right” (R4-7) sign shall have a black legend and border, on a retro-reflectorized white background and shall be 24” x 30” in size.